HOW TO MAKE YOUR EXTENSIONS LAST.
WASH INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE WEARING:
It is very important for you to wash your extensions with conditioner only before installing. This will insure the hair is soft and tangle free.
We recommend Aussie Moist or Herbal Essence Hello Hydration (can be found at Walmart and some local beauty supply stores) or any conditioner formulated for curly hair textures.
Take all ties off of your bundle (except for bulk/crochet hair) , completely wet the hair with warm water until all strands are saturated. With conditioner only, saturate the hair then with a wide tooth comb, Denman brush, wig brush or vent brush comb the conditioner through the hair and rinse out.
- For the Curly,Kinky Curly, and Coily extensions hang the hair up on a hanger and allow the hair to air dry. THIS WILL BRING OUT THE TRUE CURL PATTERN AND MAKE THE CURLS POP! Do NOT blow dry the hair.
- For the Afro Kinky extensions lay hair flat on a towel and allow to air dry, this will prevent major shrinkage. You can also hang on a hanger if you choose. Please use a wide tooth come to detangle only when hair is wet and a Denman brush to define the curls only after the hair has been detangled. THIS WILL BRING OUT THE TRUE CURL PATTERN AND MAKE THE CURLS POP!.
- For the Wigs please see the instructional video below. You will see how make the wig look like the picture.
Here at MyNaturalHairExtensions.com we believe in getting the most bang for your buck. Buying good hair only takes you so far! Proper hair care, styling tips, and maintenance will ensure the longevity of your extensions.
STOP THE SHEDDING BEFORE IT HAPPENS!
Lets just face the facts, ALL HAIR SHEDS… but there are ways to greatly diminish shedding.
- First seal your wefts. .
- Secondly, DO NOT use bristle brushes as they tend to latch onto individual hair fibers and rip them from the weft. Always use wide tooth combs or paddle brush.
CLEANSE AND CONDITION YOUR HAIR PROPERLY!
- To cleanse the hair we recommend Giovanni’s Organic Cleansing Shampoo. A less expensive alternative is Herbal Essence Hello Hydration Shampoo.
- To condition the hair we recommend Herbal Essence Hello Hydration (our #1 choice) or any conditioner formulated for wavy/curly hair.
- Make sure all hear is already detangled and pulled in the direction as if to give 2 side ponytails. Tilt your head to one side under the shower and allow the water to completly satruate your hair, working only one side at a time. Add the shampoo to your palms and slide your hands down your hair from weft to tip. DO NOT rub or bunch the hair to form a lather as this will only create unnecessary tangles! Continue to slide your hands through your hair for about 5 minutes. Rinse by allowing the water to flow through your hair as before, you may slide your hands through your hair to speed up the rinse process but remember DO NOT rub or bunch the hair. Blot with towel and allow hair to AIR DRY
- Use the same method for your conditioner and co-washes
- Shampoo: About once every 3 weeks
- Co-Wash (conditioner wash): As often as needed
BEFORE YOU GO TO BED:
CREATE A NIGHT ROUTINE AND STICK TO IT
- It is very important to manage your hair before you go to bed. Tie your hair up at night with either a silk/satin scarf or a silk/satin bonnet. The bonnets that give leeway for longer lengths work best. (see pic above)
- For wavy/curly textures we recommend putting 5-10 large twist or braids in your hair then placing it under a bonnet.
- For Straight textures we recommend wrapping your hair then placing it under a silk/satin scarf.
Following this nightly routine will make your extensions last longer, look better, and prevent tangling which leads to excessive shedding.
TREAT YOUR EXTENSIONS AS IF THEY WHERE YOUR REAL NATURAL HAIR!
THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT COMPONENT: If you love your extensions they will love you back! Here are some Do’s & Don’ts
- Allow your hair to air dry if you decide to blow dry always use a heat protectant
- When styling your hair with heat products always use heat protectants ESPECIALLY with the wavy textures. A high concentration of heat can cause heat damage and alter (loosen) the natural curl pattern. Walmart has a wide range of heat protectants to choose from. John Freida’s heat defeat thermal guard protectant spray is a good one to use because its light weight and oil free.
- Follow our nightly routine or create your own.
- Follow our wash regimen exactly.
- Use paddle bushes and wide tooth combs
- Deep Condition your hair often
- If using any color services, dyes, bleaching kits, or permanent colors be sure to seek a professional stylist or color technician. We do not guarantee quality after any chemical alterations so please be sure to protect your investment.
- DO NOT ADD A BUNCH OF PRODUCTS TO YOUR HAIR! Hair tends to matte and tangle when styling products are added. If you have curly extensions and you want to tame the hair or reduce frizz just use a small amount anti-frizz serum. If products are added you can remove them by cowashing with Herbal Essence Hello Hydration conditioner without causing dryness.
- Never try to style, wash, or detangle your hair when you are tired or in a rush! This is a recipe for frustration and will cause you to be very rough with your hair.
- do not use bristle brushes.
- Do not attempt any chemical alterations to the hair without professional guidance
HAIR CARE FOR EACH TEXTURE
- WE DO NOT RECOMEND A DENMAN BRUSH WITH THIS HAIR ! Instead the best way to detangle is with water conditioner and a wide tooth come. A tangle tease will work as well. Using a Denman brush can be very difficult, time consuming and can rip the hair from the weft. Do not try to comb this hair when it is dry. Make sure it is very hydrated with water and conditioner.
- This hair wears best with braid outs and twist outs. What ever styling products you love for your natural hair can be used with this. This hair loves moister just like your 4b 4c hair does. Twist outs and braid outs last a while with this hair and helps the curls to stretch!
Curly, Kinky Curly and Coily:
- We do recommend using a Denman brush or wide took comb with this hair. This hair like the afro kinky loves moisture. Just a light leave in conditioner and water works best.
- When detangling use a wide tooth comb followed by a Denman brush too make the curls pop.
Kinky Straight, Perm Yaki:
- This hair requires very little maintenance and does not like a lot of products. It will not behave well with product buildup.
- If possible try wrapping your hair at night to minimize tangling and to create a beautiful lay for the next day.
Thanks for visiting My Natural Hair Extensions