It seems that hot oil treatments for natural hair aren’t talked about as much anymore than they once were. When I use to do hot oil treatments, my scalp would feel soothed, my hair would feel so soft and have a shine to it. It was an overall good feeling once you had it done. This is something to try when you want to put a little extra love within your hair care routine.
I want to make sure you remember that only using oil will not moisturize your hair, but it does help with sealing the moisture in. This is why using the LCO method when your hair is done being washed or in this case, putting the hot oil treatment in then rinsing out will help with keeping the moisture. In case you want to bring the hot oil treatment back to your hair care routine. I want to break it down on what oils can work best and how to do the procedure.
What Does It Do?
- Effective at sealing in moisture
- Promotes hair growth
- Leaves your hair shiny and healthy
- Add body
- Define curls
- Nourish the hair without frizz
Best Oils For Hot Oil Treatments
- Avocado Oil – use when hair is dry, this helps with the hair feeling soft and smooth
- Argan Oil- helps with treating split ends and leaving the hair soft.
- Almond Oil- conditions the hair while promoting hair growth. This oil is recommended for damaged hair or hair loss.
- Jojoba Oil – It closely resembles are scalps natural hair sebum, and it helps with manageability
- Coconut Oil – this oil is known to be gentle and lightweight. This oil helps with softening and conditioning your hair.
- Olive oil – helps with retaining moisture but it can be too heavy for a lot of hair, so mixing it with others tends to work best.
Essential Oils To Add For The Extra Boost
These oils all can be added to any of the above to give your hair that extra nutrient boost. Because a little goes a long way with these essential oils adding 2-5 drops should be more than enough. These oils can be very potent.
- Tea Tree Oil– helps with dandruff and itchy scalps, as well as removing build up.
- Ylang Ylang Oil– helps with promoting hair growth and moisture retention; also helps with masking the scent of other products.
- Rosemary Oil– helps minimize grays, relieving dry scalp, and promoting hair growth.
- Lavender– relaxing aroma and helps with dandruff relief.
- Peppermint– stimulates your scalp and dandruff relief.
More Oils for fragrance
How the Hot oil treatment works
1. You want to pick your mixture, so any oil of choice works. You can begin mixing the oils if you have more than one. 2. Next, you can either use the microwave for 20 sec to get it warm or if you don’t prefer using the microwave. You can bring a pot of water to boil, use a heat safe bowl or glass container, and place it in the bowl of hot water. You can put your oils in the safe heat bowl for 1-2 minutes. 3. Please make sure to test it on your wrist first, so you do not burn your scalp 4. Once it’s at the right temperature for you. Apply the oil to your scalp from the roots to ends 5. Cover your hair with a plastic bag or shower cap for 45 min then rinse out